SCH4C Chemistry – Grade 12 (College)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 12 (College)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SCH4C online enables students to develop an understanding of chemistry through the study of matter and qualitative analysis, organic chemistry, electrochemistry, chemical calculations, and chemistry as it relates to the quality of the environment. Students will use a variety of laboratory techniques, develop skills in data collection and scientific analysis, and communicate scientific information using appropriate terminology. In SCH4C online, emphasis will be placed on the role of chemistry in daily life and the effects of technological applications and processes on society and the environment.
UNIT ONEMatter and Qualitative Analysis
- In this unit, students will learn to write and interpret symbols that depict the atomic number, mass number, and charge of an ion as well as how to define the atomic mass unit and average atomic mass. Students will also learn to describe the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom and understand and explain the relationship between emission spectra and Bohr’s model. Students will review the definition of chemical bonding and learn how to represent elements using the Lewis dot symbols. Students will use a solubility table to predict the products of double displacement reactions and write balanced net ionic equations for double displacement reactions.
UNIT TWOQuantities in Chemistry
- In this unit, students will learn to identify the relationship between Avogadro’s number and the mole and determine the molecular weights of moles of both pure atoms and compounds. Students will learn how to explain the relationship between the number of particles, moles, and mass and then use their understanding of the mole concept to perform conversions between quantities. They will learn the characteristics of solutions and how to determine their mass, volume and molarity. Students will then investigate the Arrhenius definition of acids and bases as well as analyze then strength and concentration of acids and bases. Students will solve stoichiometric problems using balanced chemical equations. Students will also investigate the concepts of a limiting reagent and percentage yield.
UNIT THREEOrganic Chemistry
- In this unit, students will use electronegativity values and molecular shape in order to determine the nature of a bond and draw Lewis structures to determine simple molecular shapes. Students will learn about how the polarity of bonds and molecular shape determine physical properties of a substance. Students will learn about the chemical structure and properties of alkenes, alkanes and alkynes, alcohols and ethers, aldehydes and ketones, carboxylic acids and esters, and amines and amides.
- In this unit, students will learn about oxidation and reduction reactions and the transfer of electrons that occurs during redox reactions. Students will also learn about the redox process that occurs in a galvanic cell and learn how to predict cell reactions based on standard reduction potentials. Students will also explore batteries and how they work.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SCH4C online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.