SCH4Ur Repeat Chemistry – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE:Chemistry, Grade 11, University
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SCH4Ur online enables students to deepen their understanding of chemistry through the study of organic chemistry, the structure and properties of matter, energy changes and rates of reaction, equilibrium in chemical systems, and electrochemistry. Students will further develop their problem-solving and investigation skills as they investigate chemical processes, and will refine their ability to communicate scientific information. Emphasis will be placed on the importance of chemistry in everyday life and on evaluating the impact of chemical technology on the environment.
UNIT ONEOrganic Chemistry
- In this unit, students will learn about organic compounds, their properties and their reactions. Many of the most important compounds encountered in daily life are organic compounds.
UNIT TWOStructure and Properties of Matter
- In this unit, students will learn about how the structure of a molecule impacts on how it behaves.
UNIT THREEEnergy Changes and Rates of Reaction
- In this unit, students will learn that energy is at the heart of everything they do: right now there are millions of chemical reactions taking place in the body that provide energy to live and heat. Other processes important to life also require energy: combustion to power transportation, manufacturing fertilizers and other industrial processes. In this unit, students will examine how chemical reactions produce energy in other forms, such as heat. Students will also look at how those reactions proceed, especially the rate of reaction, and the factors that impact rate.
UNIT FOURChemical Systems and Equilibrium
- In this unit, students will learn about the balance achieved in chemistry and the factors that affect that balance. Up to now, students have assumed that reactions start with reactants and end with products; in this unit, they will see that most chemical reactions aren’t complete: that there are both products and reactants left when the system reaches equilibrium. This is an important concept that has had interesting scientific and even economic impacts.
- In this unit, students will study electrochemistry. Have you ever seen a rusted car or used a battery operated device? These are both examples of electrochemistry in daily life. Electrochemistry is the study of the movement of electrons and the electric charge they carry with them. In this unit, students will take a closer look at REDOX reactions and all of the useful things they do.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SCH4Ur online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.