SES4U Earth and Space Science – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Academic
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SES4U online develops students’ understanding of Earth and its place in the universe. Students will investigate the properties of and forces in the universe and solar system and analyze techniques scientists use to generate knowledge about them. Students will closely examine the materials of Earth, its internal and surficial processes, and its geological history, and will learn how Earth’s systems interact and how they have changed over time. Throughout the course, students will learn how these forces, processes, and materials affect their daily lives. The course draws on biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics in its consideration of geological and astronomical processes that can be observed directly or inferred from other evidence.
Unit OneThe Science of the Universe
- In this unit, students will investigate and learn about the science of astronomy. By the end of the unit, they will have an up-to-date understanding of what we know regarding the origin of the universe, the evolution of stars, and the techniques used to find that information.
UNIT TWOThe Science of the Solar System
- In this unit, students will deepen their understanding and narrow their study of space to a much smaller area, which is our own cosmic neighbourhood – our solar system. Around 4.6 billion years ago, a large cloud of dust (about 20 pc wide) collapsed due to gravity. It formed a collection of dense cores, one of which came to be our Solar System. As the hydrogen in the cloud became a star, it gave us the conditions for life today.
UNIT THREEThe Science of the Third Rock from the Sun
- In this unit, students will study the science of the Third Rock from the sun. As the Earth cooled, it underwent some spectacular geological events. These events and changes have been recorded in the Earth itself, and scientists have developed some fascinating ways of reading these records.
UNIT FOURThe Science of Ores, Mines, and Power
- In this unit, students will explore the Science of Ores, Mines, and Power. Around 43,000 years ago, ancient humans in Swaziland discovered that by digging into rocks, they could produce a red metal that could be turned into a dye. Since then, we have discovered an unbelievably wide range of materials to take out of the Earth and use.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of SES4U online. This project will require students to use all that they have learned throughout the course. This project will be worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SES4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.