SNC1D Science – Grade 9 (Academic)
GRADE: 9 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SNC1D online enables students to develop their understanding of basic concepts in biology, chemistry, earth and space science, and physics, and to relate science to technology, society, and the environment. Throughout the course, students will develop their skills in the processes of scientific investigation. In SNC1D online, students will acquire an understanding of scientific theories and conduct investigations related to sustainable ecosystems; atomic and molecular structures and the properties of elements and compounds; the study of the universe and its properties and components; and the principles of electricity.
- In this unit, students will learn to define and use various terminology as it relates to the classification of matter. Students will also be introduced to the Periodic Table of Elements and will learn to arrange electronic distribution using the Bohr-Rutherford model for the first 20 elements. Students will extend their understanding and relate atomic structure to the position of an element in the periodic table and compare/contrast the physical properties of different elements within a group family.
- In this unit, students will discuss the basic properties and principles of static and current electricity and predict different materials’ pull/hold on electric charges. Students will explore the transfer of static charge between materials by friction, contact and/or induction. Students will examine how different devices use/control static electricity and improve electrical efficiency and compare and contrast the basics of static and current electricity. Students will extend their understanding and know how to calculate the energy consumption and efficiency of different appliances.
UNIT THREESustainable Ecosystems
- In this unit, students will compare and contrast living/non-living features of land and water-based ecosystems, describe and compare nutrient cycling between the four different spheres and discuss the maintenance and sustainability of the four spheres and human interactions. Students will also investigate and discuss human activities and the impact they have on different ecosystems, including pollution, invasive species, acid rain/acidic water systems and clean-ups.
UNIT FOUREarth & Space
- In this unit, students will investigate the characteristics and properties of a variety of celestial objects visible from Earth in the night sky. Students will discuss the Sun’s composition and energy source, as well as the motions of the Sun, Moon and Earth. Students will also learn about the stars.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of SNC1D online. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of all concepts learned throughout this course and is worth 20% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SNC1D online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.