SNC1P Science – Grade 9 (Applied)
GRADE: 9 (Applied)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SNC1P online enables students to develop their understanding of basic concepts in biology, chemistry, earth and space science, and physics, and to apply their knowledge of science to everyday situations. They are also given opportunities to develop practical skills related to scientific investigation. In SNC1P online, students will plan and conduct investigations into practical problems and issues related to the impact of human activity on ecosystems; the structure and properties of elements and compounds; space exploration and the components of the universe; and static and current electricity.
UNIT ONEScientific Investigative Skills & Career Exploration
- In this unit, students will gain scientific investigations skills, in the areas related to both inquiry and research, and students will discover how they are extremely beneficial. There are four areas of skills: initiating and planning, performing and recording, analyzing and interpreting, and communicating). There are a variety of careers related to the field of science, and many scientists, including Canadians, who have made significant contributions to the field.
UNIT TWOBiology: Sustainable ecosystems and human activity
- In this unit, students will learn about ecosystems. Ecosystems consist of a variety of components, including, in many cases, humans. The sustainability of ecosystems depends on balanced interactions between their components. Human activity can affect the sustainability of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
UNIT THREEChemistry: Exploring matter
- In this unit, students will examine elements and compounds and the specific properties that determine their uses. The use of elements and compounds has both positive and negative effects on society and the environment.
UNIT FOUREarth and Space Science
- In this unit, students will investigate celestial objects in the solar system and universe and their specific properties. Students will study the technologies developed for space exploration and their practical applications on Earth.
UNIT FIVEPhysics: Electrical applications
- In this unit, students will explore how electricity is a form of energy produced from a variety of non-renewable and renewable sources. The production and consumption of electrical energy have social, economic, and environmental implications. Static and current electricity have distinct properties that determine how they are used.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SNC1P online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.