SNC2D Science – Grade 10 (Academic)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 9, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 10 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SNC2D online enables students to enhance their understanding of concepts in biology, chemistry, earth and space science, and physics, and of the interrelationships between science, technology, society, and the environment. Students are also given opportunities to further develop their scientific investigation skills. In SNC2D online, students will plan and conduct investigations and develop their understanding of scientific theories related to the connections between cells and systems in animals and plants; chemical reactions, with a particular focus on acid-base reactions; forces that affect climate and climate change; and the interaction of light and matter.
- In this unit, students will learn about the nested organization of matter and life and describe how each item accumulates into higher complexity. Students will learn how to identify the boundary between living and non-living and about the seven characteristics of life. Students will also investigate cell cycles, mitosis and the structure of animal and plant tissues and body systems.
- In this unit, students will learn about lab safety when conducting chemical experiments. Students will also learn about the periodic tables and the unique properties of the different kinds of elements. Students will also be able to name chemical compounds and explain their types of bonding. Students will investigate chemical reactions like acid-base neutralization reactions.
- In this unit, students will learn about the natural and artificial sources of light and describe how it travels. Students will learn to explain how colours are perceived using the properties of reflection and absorption. Students will learn about plane, concave and convex mirrors. Students will learn about refraction and different light speeds and about converging and diverging lenses. This unit will also take a closer look at the human eye, it’s structure and how images are formed by it. Students will gain an understanding of the limits of human perception, how optical illusions can trick the eye and the brain and the different types of mirages.
UNIT FOURClimate Change
- In this unit, students will learn about weather and climate and the biomes found in Canada. Students will learn to define conduction, convection, and radiation, and link these to Earth’s climate systems. this unit will also explain what thermohaline circulation is, why it is important, and what would happen if it were to change or stop. Students will take a closer look at the atmospheric layers and their composition and learn how the greenhouse effect works. Students will also analyze various pieces of evidence that suggest our climate is undergoing a change. This unit will also go over energy transfer as well as negative and positive feedback loops and their influence on climate. Students will learn about Earth’s spheres and the importance of nutrients for maintaining health. Finally, students will learn about the different initiatives being taken to combat climate change.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SNC2D online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.