SNC2P Science – Grade 10 (Applied)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 9, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 10 (Applied)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SNC2P online enables students to develop a deeper understanding of concepts in biology, chemistry, earth and space science, and physics, and to apply their knowledge of science in real-world situations. Students are given opportunities to develop further practical skills in scientific investigation. In SNC2P online, students will plan and conduct investigations into everyday problems and issues related to human cells and body systems; chemical reactions; factors affecting climate change; and the interaction of light and matter.
UNIT ONELaboratory Safety
- In this unit, students will learn how to conduct experiments safely within laboratory settings.
UNIT TWOChemical Reactions
- In this unit, students will learn what takes place during a chemical reaction and how to classify reactions based on their products. In addition, students will learn about nomenclature.
UNIT THREELight and Optics
- In this unit, students will learn the basic properties of light. In addition, they will learn how they use mirrors and lenses to manipulate light in their every day lives.
UNIT FOUREarth's Dynamic Climate
- In this unit, students will learn the forces associated with Earth’s climate and weather. They will learn the difference between natural effects and anthropogenic effects and the effect each has. Students will also investigate ways that they can protect their environment and slow the effects of climate change.
UNIT FIVETissues, Organs, and Systems of Living Things
- In this unit, students will examine the smallest component of life; a cell. They will discover what kinds of cells there are and what they are made of. Students will investigate how cells come together to create organisms and what potential diseases can occur when cells stop preforming their functions.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of SNC2P online. This project will require students to use the knowledge they have gained throughout the course. It is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SNC2P online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.