SNC4M Science – Grade 12 (University/College)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Academic, or any Grade 11 university, university/college, or college preparation course in science
GRADE: 12 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SNC4M online enables students, including those pursuing postsecondary programs outside the sciences, to increase their understanding of science and contemporary social and environmental issues in health-related fields. Students will explore a variety of medical technologies, pathogens and disease, nutritional science, public health issues, and biotechnology. SNC4M online focuses on the theoretical aspects of the topics under study and helps refine students’ scientific investigation skills.
UNIT ONENutritional Science
- In this unit, students will learn about and discuss the nutrients and other substances found in food and how they affect human health and well-being.
UNIT TWOPathogens and Disease
- In this unit, students will learn about and discuss pathogens and the diseases they cause. Students will learn how they reproduce, spread, are controlled, and preventive methods.
UNIT THREEScience and Public Health Issues
- In this unit, students will learn about and discuss how public health helps individuals and societies adopt appropriate practices to protect their health and the health of others and how a global approach to public health is necessary to help prevent future pandemics.
- In this unit, students will learn about and discuss the central dogma of molecular genetics (how the code of DNA is translated into a functional protein). Students will also discuss the many applications of biotechnology in health and agriculture. Students will discuss some controversies regarding genetically modified foods.
UNIT FIVEMedical Technologies
- In this unit, students will learn about and discuss how medical technologies can have positive and negative effects on society, human health, the economy, and the environment. Students will learn about the science behind medical technologies, and how they can help patients better understand their diagnoses and treatment options.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SNC4M online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.