SPH3Ur Repeat Physics – Grade 11 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Academic
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SPH3Ur online develops students’ understanding of the basic concepts of physics. Students will explore kinematics, with an emphasis on linear motion; different kinds of forces; energy transformations; the properties of mechanical waves and sound; and electricity and magnetism. They will enhance their scientific investigation skills as they test laws of physics. In SPH3Ur online, students will also analyze the interrelationships between physics and technology, and consider the impact of technological applications of physics on society and the environment.
- In this unit, students will begin a detailed analysis of motion and will learn to apply models developed by physicists for understanding different types of motion. Students will also learn about adding vector quantities and position vs. time graphs. Students will examine speed and velocity, velocity vs. time graphs, acceleration and acceleration vs. time graphs. Students will also learn about the equations for uniform acceleration as well as acceleration due to gravity and projectile motion.
- In this unit, students will learn about the types of forces and Newton’s three laws. Students will explore the concepts of tension and friction.
- In this unit, students will learn about energy and work and how their definitions in regards to physics are different than the common way they are used. Students will learn about the different types of energy, energy transformation and energy conservation. Students will examine power and efficiency and briefly learn about E=mc2
UNIT FOURThermodynamics and Nuclear Energy
- In this unit, students will explore thermal energy and how it is related to temperature. Students will examine heat capacity and the laws of thermodynamics. Students will gain an understanding of changes of state as well as electricity generation. Students will examine different nuclear isotopes, the characteristics of alpha and beta particles and gamma rays, and be introduced to radioactive decay. Students will also examine Nuclear Fission and Nuclear Fusion.
UNIT FIVEWaves and Sound
- In this unit, students will investigate the properties of mechanical waves and sound. Students will explore what affects these waves and what happens when they meet. Students will examine standing waves and how musical instruments apply wave theory. Students will also examine wave theory in nature.
UNIT SIXElectricity and Magnetism
- In this unit, students will analyze the efficiency and the environmental impact of ocean electrical energy production and propose ways to improve the sustainability of electrical energy production. Students will examine how electricity moves through a circuit, Ohm’s law and Kirchhoff’s law. Students will investigate the magnetic fields produced by an electrical current as well as the properties of magnetic fields in permanent magnets. Students will learn about electromagnets, electromagnetic induction and alternating current. Students will investigate Lenz’s law in relation to electricity and magnetism.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SPH3Ur online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.