SPH4C Physics – Grade 12 (College)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 12 (College)
AVAILABILITY: Science, Grade 10, Academic or Applied
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SPH4C online develops students’ understanding of the basic concepts of physics. Students will explore these concepts with respect to motion; mechanical, electrical, electromagnetic, energy transformation, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems; and the operation of commonly used tools and machines. They will develop their scientific investigation skills as they test laws of physics and solve both assigned problems and those emerging from their investigations. In SPH4C online, students will also consider the impact of technological applications of physics on society and the environment.
UNIT ONEMotion and Its Applications
- In this unit, students will be introduced to motion and the causes of motion. Students will first explore scientific notation, significant digits and rounding, motion equations and graphs used to analyze motion. Students will then explore the causes of motion by learning about forces. They will be introduced to different types of forces and investigate their net effects using diagrams, equations, and Newton’s three Laws of Motion.
UNIT TWOMechanical Systems
- In this unit, students will describe and apply concepts related to forces, Newtons laws of motion, static and kinetic friction, simple machines, torques, and mechanical advantage. There will be an opportunity to design and carry out experiments to investigate forces, coefficients of friction, and the operation of simple machines. Students will also identify and analyze applications of applied forces, friction, and simple machines in real-world machines and in the human body.
UNIT THREEElectricity and Magnetism
- In this unit, students will explain, describe and calculate magnetic fields and electric circuits arising from real-world problems both qualitatively and quantitatively. Students will also explain, describe and calculate the properties of; magnetic fields, current, electron flow. Students will then analyze the social, economic and environmental impact of electrical production and propose ways to improve sustainability.
UNIT FOUREnergy Transformations
- In this unit, students will study forms of energy, work, energy sources, energy transformations, efficiency, and the operation of energy-transforming devices. Students will investigate devices involving energy sources, energy transformations, and energy losses and assess their efficiency. Students will also analyze various energy-transforming technologies and evaluate sources of renewable energy.
UNIT FIVEHydraulic and Pneumatic Systems
- In this unit, students will develop an understanding of the scientific principles related to fluids at rest and in motion. Students will design and carry out investigations on how fluids under pressure can be used to do work and have predictable properties that make them useful in many technological applications. Students will assess the social and economic consequences of the development of technological applications related to the motion and control of fluids.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of the SPH4C online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.