SPH4UR Repeat Physics – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Physics, Grade 11, University Preparation
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SPH4Ur online enables students to deepen their understanding of physics concepts and theories. Students will continue their exploration of energy transformations and the forces that affect motion and will investigate electrical, gravitational, and magnetic fields and electromagnetic radiation. Students will also explore the wave nature of light, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. They will further develop their scientific investigation skills, learning, for example, how to analyze, qualitatively and quantitatively, data relating to a variety of physics concepts and principles. In SPH4Ur online, students will also consider the impact of technological applications of physics on society and the environment.
- In this unit, students will expand their knowledge of kinematics and forces into the combined field of dynamics. Students will be re-introduced to many terms, variables, and equations learned in Grade 11 Physics. They will apply these previously learned concepts to two-dimensional situations.
UNIT TWOCircular Motion
- In this unit, students will apply their knowledge of dynamics to study objects moving with circular motion. Students will deepen their understanding of frames of reference and be able to study motion both from inertial and non-inertial frames of reference.
UNIT THREEEnergy and Momentum
- In this unit, students will study the Physics behind collisions. To do so, they will first recall what it means, in Physics, to do work. Students will review the types of mechanical energy studied in Grade 11 and they will learn more about thermal and elastic potential energy. Using Laws of Conservation of Energy and Momentum, students will analyze different types of collisions, qualitatively and quantitatively.
UNIT FOURGravitational, Electric, and Magnetic Fields
- In this unit, students will explore gravitational, electric, and magnetic forces and fields. Students will analyze the behaviour of particles in these fields and will look at similarities and differences among the fields. Through calculations and simulations, students will gain an understanding of forces and fields that they can apply to a real-world technology.
UNIT FIVEThe Wave Nature of Light
- In this unit, students will investigate wave properties and relate them to the behaviour of light. Students will first analyze water waves, and then transfer that understanding to light waves. Students will use diagrams and simulations to gain a firm understanding of the wave nature of light, and they will also analyze the patterns and behaviours mathematically.
UNIT SIXRevolutions in Modern Physics
- In this unit, students will be introduced to interesting phenomenon related to modern physics. Students will explore Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity as well as the quantum theory of electromagnetic radiation. Their exploration will take them through thought experiments, experimental observations, simulations, and simple calculations. This unit is an excellent overview of how science works, expanding and developing a theory with the support of ingenious ideas and experimental evidence. As students progress through the unit, they are encouraged to keep thinking about the overall development of modern theory. As they search to explain existing phenomenon, theories change and grow based on internal consistency and experimental findings. Students should finish the unit with a clear understanding of the development of modern physics and scientific theory in general.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SPH4Ur online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.