SVN3M Environmental Science – Grade 11 (University/College)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Applied or Academic
GRADE: 11 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SVN3M online provides students with the fundamental knowledge of and skills relating to environmental science that will help them succeed in life after secondary school. Students will explore a range of topics, including the role of science in addressing contemporary environmental challenges; the impact of the environment on human health; sustainable agriculture and forestry; the reduction and management of waste; and the conservation of energy. In SVN3M online, students will increase their scientific and environmental literacy and examine the interrelationships between science, the environment, and society in a variety of areas.
UNIT ONEScientific Solutions to Contemporary Environmental Challenges
- In this unit, students will analyze social and economic issues related to environmental change and how society influences the scientific, environmental endeavours. Students will also investigate a range of perspectives that have contributed to scientific, environmental knowledge and procedures that are applied to address environmental problems. Students will gain an understanding of contemporary environmental challenges and how they can learn about them.
UNIT TWOHuman Health and the Environment
- In this unit, students will analyze governmental and non-governmental initiatives that are intended to reduce the environmental factors on human health. They will also explore environmental factors that affect human health and demonstrate an understanding of various environmental factors that can affect human health, and how these factors can be reduced.
UNIT THREESustainable Agriculture and Forestry
- In this unit, students will evaluate the impact of agricultural and forestry practices on human health, the economy and the environment. They will investigate conditions that are necessary for plant growth (soil components for various species and environmentally sustainable methods to promote growth). Students will learn about the conditions for plant growth, to promote growth, that are environmentally sustainable.
UNIT FOURReducing and Managing Waste
- In this unit, students will analyze the economic, political and environmental consideration that affect waste management strategies. They will investigate the effectiveness of waste management practices and gain an understanding of the types of waste and strategies for its management.
UNIT FIVEConservation of Energy
- In this unit, students will assess the impact on society and the environment of the use of renewable and non-renewable energy sources, propose a plan to reduce energy consumption, investigate various methods of conserving energy and improving energy efficiency. Students will also gain an understanding of energy production, consumption and conservation.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of SVN3M online. This project will be divided into 3 parts, worth a total of 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SVN3M online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.