SVN3M Environmental Science – Grade 11 (University/College)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Applied or Academic
GRADE: 11 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
UNIT ONEScientific Solutions to Contemporary Environmental Challenges
- In this unit, students will analyze social and economic issues related to environmental change and how society influences the scientific, environmental endeavours. Students will also investigate a range of perspectives that have contributed to scientific, environmental knowledge and procedures that are applied to address environmental problems. Students will gain an understanding of contemporary environmental challenges and how they can learn about them.
UNIT TWOHuman Health and the Environment
- In this unit, students will analyze governmental and non-governmental initiatives that are intended to reduce the environmental factors on human health. They will also explore environmental factors that affect human health and demonstrate an understanding of various environmental factors that can affect human health, and how these factors can be reduced.
UNIT THREESustainable Agriculture and Forestry
- In this unit, students will evaluate the impact of agricultural and forestry practices on human health, the economy and the environment. They will investigate conditions that are necessary for plant growth (soil components for various species and environmentally sustainable methods to promote growth). Students will learn about the conditions for plant growth, to promote growth, that are environmentally sustainable.
UNIT FOURReducing and Managing Waste
- In this unit, students will analyze the economic, political and environmental consideration that affect waste management strategies. They will investigate the effectiveness of waste management practices and gain an understanding of the types of waste and strategies for its management.
UNIT FIVEConservation of Energy
- In this unit, students will assess the impact on society and the environment of the use of renewable and non-renewable energy sources, propose a plan to reduce energy consumption, investigate various methods of conserving energy and improving energy efficiency. Students will also gain an understanding of energy production, consumption and conservation.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SVN3M online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.