TGI3M Animation & Interactive New Media – Grade 11 (University/College)
GRADE: 11 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Technological Education
TGI3M online examines communications technology from a media perspective. Students will develop knowledge and skills as they design and produce media projects in the areas of live, recorded, and/or graphic communications. These areas may include TV, video, and movie production; radio and audio production; print and graphic communications; photography; digital imaging; broadcast journalism; and interactive new media. Students will also develop an awareness of related environmental and societal issues and will explore college and university programs and career opportunities in the various communications technology fields.
TGI3M online emphasizes interactive media and in this case will focus on animation history, concepts, and development. Students will develop specific skills in 2D animation using Adobe Flash CC. Students will explore the many roles you can play in the development of animated shorts and in the culminating performance task will produce a full animated short film. TGI3M online will prepare students for participation in any school, district or provincial Skills Canada competition in 2D animation.
UNIT ONEWhat is Animation?
- In this unit, students will gain an understanding of the key concepts in 2D animation. Students will be covering the history of animation, flipbooks and Nickelodeons, claymation and paper puppets, traditional animation, digital animation and common concepts used in 2D animation production.
UNIT TWOCharacter Design
- In this unit, students will develop an Animated Character. This character will be the one students use in their final culminating animated film. Students should read through each of the sections carefully and view all the links to get a better idea of who their character is going to be and what characteristics they want he/she/it to have.
UNIT THREETelling a Visual Story
- In this unit, students will develop an understanding of visual storytelling. As students will learn, the real key to any animation is a story. Understanding how to use shot types, camera angles and movements to enhance the storytelling is key to making students a great animator.
UNIT FOURLearning Adobe Flash CC
- In this unit, students will develop their skills in the use of Adobe Animate or Flash. Adobe software has been one of the industry leaders in the development of 2D animation and because it’s linked to other related applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator, it is the logical choice to learn on the road to becoming an animator.
UNIT FIVECareers in Animation
- In this unit, students will develop an understanding of the different roles they can play in the field of animation. In addition, it will allow students to investigate post-secondary options that would lead them to a successful career. As well, it will allow students to show their media presentation capabilities through a selected medium.
- This project is the final evaluation of TGI3M online. This project will challenge students to use the knowledge and skills gained throughout this course and is worth 30% of the final grade.