The Foundations Program has been designed and implemented to set Blyth Academy students apart and propel them into the future with skills and knowledge to gain success.
What is the program?
The Foundations Program is the defining character of the Grades 9 & 10 experience at Blyth Academy. It is a full-year, daily program designed to explore and develop students’ academic, social, leadership, and community skills. Highlights include:
- 440 hours of programming with NO compromise to a full, traditional Ontario Curriculum. This program is in addition to the core course curriculum.
- Students earn an extra credit in each grade:
- Grade 9: Learning Strategies (GLS1O)
- Grade 10: Leadership (GPP3O)
- Teaching what schools typically don’t teach: how to learn, how to take notes, life skills, financial literacy, social skills, adventuring and more.
- The program teacher remains consistent all year; they are each student’s home base and every parent’s go-to.
- With a careful blend of routine and spontaneity, students find academic and personal success.
Pillars of the Program & Activity Examples:
The Foundations Program is not a standard high school course. It is varied, energetic, and sparks passion!
- Art, Cooking, Games & competitions, Storytelling
Students complete personality inventories and become action researchers on their own learning. They look at their current and alternative ways of responding to emotions, to others, and to their environments.
- Mindfulness meditation, Personal goal setting, Research projects on mental illnesses/labels/physical illness
COMMUNITY & CONNECTIONS
We find connections and causes near and far to broaden our awareness. Mentors, elders, service learning and volunteerism all play a role.
- Intergenerational connections (ex. Visiting retirement homes), Food banks, Fundraising campaigns
Within our school and city, and well beyond in nature, students will venture and wonder collaboratively.
- Learn life skills (flat tire, oil change, laundry), Outdoor cleanup (e.g. ravine, park, etc), Neighbourhood exploration
Support and Learning Strategies, Organization skills, and a full Ontario credit for both years of the Learning Accelerator Program. We are teaching exactly what schools often miss!
- Homework help sessions, Research organization, Note taking, Time management strategies, Exam/test prep, Academic skills inventory, Basic keyboarding, Email etiquette, Weekly planning & prioritizing.
ENVIRONMENTAL & PHYSICAL WELLNESS
A positive exercise and nutrition routine blends well with our footprint and our relationship to our environments.
- Recycling program, Nutritional analysis & meal planning, Yoga, Outdoor education
Aligned with best practices in Math, the program includes a broad and impactful study of real-life financial products and awareness.
- Budgeting & life-skills (e.g. groceries/cooking), Credit vs Debit, Mortgages vs Rent, Canadian & global economy, and Investments.
Sample Foundations Class Schedule
Academic Support & Financial Literacy
Self-Discovery & Guidance course work
Exercise & Wellness
Genius Hour & exploring new topics